Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Happy Skin in Chicago



When traveling, some people enjoy finding good sales, great local food, or tours through history…I love all these adventures, but my favorite is finding a hidden local spa that can help calm and rejuvenate my tired skin.

While visiting Chicago this past weekend, I found just the place that could help me and my skin relax after a long trip north. Allyu Spa…their slogan says “a place for healing” and it truly is. This spa is healing mind, body and spirit!

My travel companion and I walked about a mile to the spa Saturday morning for our 10 am appointments. We both booked their signature facial which is designed around your specific skin type and needs.

The atmosphere in Allyu was great…peaceful, serine, tranquil…all things a spa should be. The motif was centered around a South American feel with earthy furniture and decorations…the most interesting aspect was the walls leading to the facial rooms were created out of rocks nestled behind iron rods.

The treatment rooms were softly lit and a calming CD was playing…and maybe I was just super tired but even the treatment bed was comfortable enough to take a serious nap!

My esthetician was amazing….professional, insightful, and friendly. She had a great touch (not to soft but not too hard…Goldilocks would have been thrilled!) and she really customized my treatments to help my skin get the most out of the facial.
I told her I wanted a really good deep clean because my skin felt so congested and gross. She started with a gentle deep cleanser then applied a papaya mask that helped open my pores and release any debris that was clogged.

After an amazing upper back massage, she began extractions. Extractions are never pleasant (let’s face it…you’re squeezing out all the stuff trapped under your skin) but she was gentle and didn’t force out gunk that wasn’t ready to go so the process was not unbearable.

Next she applied a calming mask to help my skin return to a nice balance and did a great hand massage while the mask was setting. Finally she removed the mask, applied a softening moisturize, eye cream, and lip balm and left me to slowly get dressed.

After my 60 minute facial, I joined my travel buddy in the “meditation area” which was a large space with several couches and pillows and beautiful curtains draped over everything in a way that made the space look like a Moroccan tent in an oasis.
While sipping some relaxing chamomile tea, my friend told me what an amazing facial she had received. She was thrilled with the results on not only her skin but also her mind and spirit.

Check out the Allyu Spa website and if you’re in the Chicago area, set up an appointment!

www.allyuspa.com

photo: allyuspa.com

No comments:

Post a Comment